Sunday, January 31, 2010

New Years Eve in Prague = Ghetto LA

"Oh my god... where are we?"-H
"I feel like I am on an army base."-D
I have never been a big fan of New Year's. I think most people who know me know this little diddy about me. I am not a big fan of paying a lot of money to get into a club, never get to the bar, spend money on the taxi, limo, or some dude we flagged down on the street who had a car; yes, that one did happen and we gave him $10 for his troubles. So, it was a pleasant surprise when Dave and I both agreeded we wanted to do something nice, but not pricey or with a lot of people (drunk and crazy). We decided we were going to make dinner at home... well, that Dave was going to prepare a beautiful feast! So... starter: champagne and brie soup! (super) main: roasted duck with a marmade orange glaze sauce, veggies, and potatoes (i couldn't stop myself from eating) followed by dessert and some champagne! Around 11pm we decided that it would be nice to go to the bridge and watch fireworks... oh magical Prague what did you have instore for us?
Magical Prague is not so magical on December 31st. For starters, EVERYONE on the tram was drunk, except Dave and I. We had at least 4 bottle rockets hit our tram on the way to the bridge, and countless other experiences that made me wish we would have stayed at home. Ah... but finally we reached our stop and then the mayhem started! Do you ever want to know what it must feel like to be in a war zone or war zone like setting? Head to the city center of Prague... or any "central" part of Prague on the 31st and you will have that answered in a second! Fireworkds going off everywhere, people shooting fireworks at each other and other people, small children having no regard for other civilians or social behaviors as their parents sit and laugh. It was all out chaos! Dave and I had a nice little spot on the bridge where we could see Prague castle, Letna Park, The Rudofinum, and Charles Bridge, all great places where the city of Prague could show us their display (little did we know that Prague does their fireworks on January 1st.. ass****). We waited and waited as more and more people came around us... most drunk getting ready to vomit over the side of the bridge. Finally at 12 we kissed and fireworks started... not professional fireworks, but ones being set off by some dude named Jan or Petr or Tomas, who saw a guy do it once, and thought it must be easy. After about 10 minutes of seeing some good fireworks but mostly lame ones we made for the trams to take us the hell out of there!




Fireworks over Prague.... pretty but the atmosphere made it too scary for us to stay longer than 10 minutes!



Bridge picture before it got too scary and we had to leave


Tram ride home. Somewhere around 12:20am. Happy 2010. I especially like the guy yawning in the back. He had a lot of fun that night too!



No comments:

Post a Comment