Sunday, October 25, 2009

Being a little kid is fun- Halloween in Prague

Halloween... a fun ole' American tradition of carving pumpkins, eating candy, dressing up as something either "slutty" like in the movie, Mean Girls, or something more tame.. like say... a ghost. It's fun that a child or children at any age can have!

This year we went to my friend Jen's house to carve pumpkins. Dave is out of town this year again for Halloween, but at least last year he was here for us to carve pumpkins together... not this time.. c'est la vie. For the festivities i made a yummy little treat for all my fellow "young at heart" friends.

Chocolate covered pretzels with sprinkles and the Czech version of M&M's, it was really good!
Keeping the old school tradition of Pumpkin carving alive, I went to Tesco about a week in advance to size up the perfect pumpkin for carving. I found them all in a little corral-like area in my Tesco and after sizing each of them up for 10 minutes, I finally came across this little beauty who would be my muse.


Burt, season 2, my muse for the evening of pumpkin carving

After some tough love we finally cut through Burt and started removing all of his guts and pumpkin seeds; we ate them later so the pumpkin was "recycled" for all of my California friends out there. I'm what you might call a traditional carver... i like to stick with the triangle motif.. it happens to be my favorite. We had some people who were pumpkin virgins that definitely got into the carving spirtit and got very creative with their pumpkins, but, like i said, I like to stick to tradition on things like pumpkin carving and my alabama football.

Burt's finished face... i liked his toothy grin!

Once we had all finished, some 2 hours later, we took all of the pumpkins, I believe about 1o or so in total to the roof of Jen's apartment building for a little photoshoot. We liked the idea of blending American culture in such a foreign city such as Prague, so the roof top photo seemed a perfect place to finalize that idea.

Some of our pumpkins (USA, Ukraine, Portugal, The Netherlands, Jersey, England, Czech Republic, Spain) we are a United Nations Pumpkin Patch

This is my favorite photo of the entire evening. I love the back drop of the city lights coming up from behind the bell tower, it's very old meets new. I wish i would have been able to get the castle in the back ground, but it was such a hazzy night that my camera didn't want to focus in on that... just the pumkins.

Pumpkins: (Jennifer, Iona, Me, CJ, and Leo)
Not sure what we will all do for Halloween day. I am just kind of hoping that I won't have this miserable cough so that I can leave my apartment for longer than 10 minutes at a time. I had a blast though making the dessert, carving my pumpkin, and finally toasting pumpkin seeds.










2 comments:

  1. Holy cow - those pretzels look soooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you... i made them myself... trying to get create with a lack of funds... they are super cheap and easy to make too!

    ReplyDelete