Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy Christmas from England!

Happy Christmas

So, because I think New Year's apparently comes before Christmas, I am just now doing my England story. We left Prague three days before Christmas and I think I can honestly say that the hour and a half delay was the least of our worries. Earlier in the week we were watching the news and checking BBC every few hours to make sure that Bristol airport was still accepting flights.

We arrived late in the evening, landing in what looked like Prague, and settled in for the long car ride back to Dave's parents house next to the ocean. We arrived to his mom happily greeting us at the door at an "early" midnight. She was so sweet to make me a cheese sandwich and then quickly retired to bed. Not that I can blame her as I was really wanting the same thing!

The next day Dave, his father, and myself took a little tour around the area where they lived. We visited an area called Brixham and then went over to a very cute town called Dartmouth, that reminded me of the cute little chic towns that you see up and down the east coast of the United States. We had a really delicious vegetable soup there and then headed home.

Another shot of Brixham Harbour

A real pirate ship! And no, not like the ones used off Somalia... that would be the "boat" next to the pirate ship

Brixham harbour. It was freeze your face off cold when the wind hit you, which is to say, constantly

Going over on the "pontoon" boat for cars to Dartmouth!

Over the next couple of days Dave and I toured a couple more areas of towns close by. On Christmas Eve we got to see/meet Dave's Grandparents and his brother, Ian. Christmas Day started with lots of food in the morning  and some champagne, followed by opening presents in a made dash. We all went for a walk, except for Hazel, who was busy preparing things for the big dinner. I think she was happy to have us all out of the house for a couple of hours so that she could make everything in peace. At 6pm sharp we all sat down for dinner and enjoyed a truly remarkable feast! 
Christmas dinner- crowns and crackers included

Boxing day we went on another walk through the paths along the ocean front and went to a small manor which was once owned by a noble man in the area. Later it served as a nice smuggling inn for pirates that would come into this harbour.
View from Dave's rents path way

A manor turned pub and bed and breakfast. Excellent beer

Dave and I on one of our walks

Day after Christmas walk- Dave's Grandpa, Dave, me, and Dave's Grandma, They were so much fun

On our last day, before heading off to Prague, we visited Plymouth, England. I was beyond excited about this trip as this is the wonderful city that started America as we know it. Many people love to use the "city upon a hill" reference which was actually sermonized by a man named John Winthrop on these steps. Many politicians love to use the sermon as a reminder  of their own political agendas, it was Winthrop however, that wanted to remind his fellow citizens that they must be the utmost Christians and work, hunger, and thirst together as a common group. I found this place absolutely magical.
Walking along the coast in Plymouth, England. I know you can barely see it in the distance but the flag that is horizontal is a nice explanation of how windy it was! We were almost knocked over on several occasions.

History nerds, like myself, will appreciate this. That spot is where the pilgrims sailed to America.  You can't see it in the picture but there is both an American and British flag on top of the flag poles.

Oh yes, Mayflower 1620! This was probably the coolest thing I saw in England!

My over all trip to England was one of great pleasure. IT was so much fun being able to spend time with Dave's family and spend such a special occasion with them. I look forward to many more adventures with his family in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment