Thursday, January 6, 2011

The rest of Italy- 3 months later

Naples. the place you will learn to love



When everyone told me about the famous quote, "see Naples and die" I honestly thought it would be nice, but certainly nothing to die over. I have a great love for London and New York. New York being my number one boyfriend, so I thought Naples would just be a quick fling. I was SO wrong. Not only did I have an amazing fling with Naples, but even with his dirty, crude behavior I fell in love, and I fell hard. There is a kind of symphony to Naples that is both chaotic and completely normal. You will see Naples, and you may not die, but you will certainly fall head over heels in love.

What girl couldn't fall in love with 3 euro bottles of wine in the dingy Spanish Quarter? You won't fall out of love until the next morning when your headache reminds you that 3 euros for a bottle is not the best wine!


Day one in Naples we went to a restaurant called Sorbillo's. I highly recommend this restaurant, though to be honest, the pizza joint down the street is about a million times better!

Pizza at Sorbillo's. Italian pizza meets German beer... globalization at it's finest!

The area of Old Town is a bit more real than Starometska or Prague. This one is everything that you saw in the movie Eat, Pray, Love, except there is no Julia Roberts and camera crew running around. Just lots of people on scooters that look like at any minute they could possibly run you over and not give it a second thought. It's was my heaven!

City streets in Old Town Naples. Roman buildings are built with new concrete and made anew.

Under Naples is what remains of the Greek and Roman city that predated the modern day Naples. A great find thanks to Lonely Planet!

In the palace square. Vesuvius is always lurking!


the persepi... what the Naples artisans are known for

When I pictured Cinderella in a lovely carriage I never imagined that the wheels would be taller than me
On day two we went ahead and went into the Spanish Quarter (notorious for pick pocketing and theft) for a little bit of home cooking. Another one of those amazing finds thanks to Lonely Planet. We were the only tourists at the out door restaurant that was home to a boisterous chef and his brother who loved to shout and sing! Children played football in the street and tried to dodge the oncoming scooters that popped up out of no where, would give a little beep beep and then be on their way.

His son owns this little bar. This bar is from the top of the post where wine was 3 euro for a bottle. We spend the evening speaking a mix of English/Spanish and Italian and some how we understood each other


Owner and a lover of all things Scotland. He took to Dave immediately when I told him Dave was from there. He loves Scotland so much that he named his first son Scot!

Earlier on Day 2 we went to the famous Gambrinus Cafe. Those familiar with the names of Czech beer will know that Gambrinus is famous in the Czech Republic for being a cheaper and I believe better version of the mass exporter Pilsner Urquell. Having said that Gambrinus Cafe serves the strongest espresso I have ever had in my entire life. Even with whipped cream I was shaking!

Couple shot! So cute?

Strongest Espresso EVER. PERIOD. I thought that getting the whipped cream and frozen blend would be easier in terms of shaking... i was wrong

I love lions

Background shot of Vesuvius. You really felt like you were being followed constantly, not by people, but by that mountain!

On top of Egg Castle. Some of the best views of Naples

In 2007 my parents went to Naples, where I am standing is the exact place that they took a photo together. It's in my room in Prague. When I took this photo I never even realized it was the same spot until I was back

Sunset is best scene from the top of Naples. We took one of the funiculars, which was really cool, and headed to the very tippy top of Naples! Sunsets will never be the same again!
Naples below. It's so beautiful!

Looking toward the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento.. as always Vesuvius as well

Naples


This trip, was by far, the best holiday that I have ever had. Sure it had it's interesting moments and yes, the streets of Naples were a bit full of garbage, but it added to the city's charm. We met so many friendly and amazing people and everywhere we went and tried to use Italian, the Italians we met would look on and smiley warm for they were happy we were trying. We learned about so many other places just by being open and not having a concrete plan. This is, to the date, my favorite city in the world. I love New York but my other man Naples is almost in a tied position!

No comments:

Post a Comment