Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mělník- A place where two become one

" I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."- Robert Frost


Melink is a really small little city on where the Labe and Vltava rivers merge as one river to continue down to Prague. I have always wanted to go to this small little town, and I finally decided to go last Saturday. It was overcast for a good chunk of the day, and I had brought my umbrella and dressed as warm as possible. Of course, as my luck would have it, the sun came out around 2:30pm and it was scorching hot.. i didn't need the umbrella I need shorts! 


Walking into the cute little town


Bell tower that I walked up. The also have an ossuary where the keep the bones of the dead from the Plague. It's like Kutna Hora but on a much smaller scale.

2 roads diverge into a wood.


Two rivers (Labe and Vltava) with the vineyards below. I had the white wine that they grow on the property called Ludmilla.


Old Bell... walking up the steep steps to the tower


On top of the tower looking out over the city of Melnik and the rivers


Namesti Miru (peace square)... the town of Melnik. It's a small little guy


Sun finally out for a while. I took a tour of the Lobkowicz Castle, which was self-guided. It was a bit lame but I liked the fact that I could spend as much time as I wanted in each room and nothing was off limits!


Random art on one of the buildings in Namesti Miru.


Old building walking back to the bus station to head back to Prague

The trip was a lot of fun and I am glad that I finally got to go. It was a short trip, maybe 4 hours max (from Prague and back again), but it was worth it. It was so beautiful getting there. There were so many little country stands with people selling produce from their gardens. But my personal favorite was being able to look into people's back gardens where I saw the biggest damn pumpkin that I have seen in quite a long time... maybe 20-30 lbs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment