"I love old Catholic Churches... something about fire and brimstone mixed with beautiful art gets me creative"
Dave and I have both lived in Prague for 2 years and neither one of us have ever been to Vysehrad (built in the 10th Century). On Sunday, since it was kind of sunny, we decided after a day of straight rain perhaps we should do something a bit outdoorsy.
I have heard many people talk about this place and how beautiful it is, both in views and the church itself, but I was awestruck at how beautiful it really is! **Tourist suggestion: definitely go to this beautiful little place... great views, great Gothic architecture, and wonderful Neo-Gothic paintings.
 |
| One of the views on top of the old fortress in Prague. It's amazing and you can see from all directions |
 |
| View of Prague Castle |
Once we had finished snapping pictures (read: me) we moved toward the old church on top of the fortress grounds built in the 10th Century. The church is built in the Gothic Style, which, I must admit is not one of my favorites, but a lover of art I do respect the delicate and enormous work that went into the details left in these churches.. and that is something that anyone can be impressed with. Walking up to the church you are really taken aback by it's size. It's isn't near as big as what I was expecting, a good size in church standards, though easily manageable. My favorite part was the picture below. The detail in the reliefs are really quite spectacular... and i loved the colored mosaic... God.. it was beautiful.. but then again, I suppose he was the Muse behind the design.
 |
| My dream door. Beautiful... once again the picture doesn't do it justice! |
 |
| Trying to blend in with the door. To be one with the door |
I gladly paid the 20czk for Dave and I to enter the church as students. (I'm on a budget and I pass.... so why not?) The church is well, it's pretty amazing! The first that you notice is the neo-gothic paintings on the walls, the ceiling... it's everywhere. Think Mr. Mucha. To say that I was in my happy place would have been silly... i was speechless inside the church.
 |
| Stained Glass and oil on canvas from the 17th Century. |
 |
| 18th Century alter piece.. if I remember correctly it was from Germany |
 |
| My favorite. It was eerie... Madonna looking over a sarcophagus from the 11th or 12th Century. There was an old priest buried there. |
 |
| The interior... it completely blew me away |
After we left the church I made Dave and I walk through the Cemetery which is home to such famous people as : Dvorak, Smetana (both composers) and Franz Mucha. There are more, but I think these are the most well-known to non-Czech society. To say that there was money in this cemetery would be an understatement... there were full life size people made of marble... incredible!
 |
| Where the famous people are |
 |
| You know, just a families personal mosaic of Jesus Christ for their personal tombs,no biggie |
 |
| The front of my lovely Sunday afternoon |
 |
| Fortress walls that lead to the gardens of other people's houses, or to a comfortable resting place |
No comments:
Post a Comment