Monday, May 17, 2010

When the commencement commences

"Regardless of the graduation ceremony I will always think of Animal House."



The stage for the May Commencement of the University of Alabama
I don't know what it is about college, graduation ceremonies,and seeing a bunch of fraternity and sorority girls on a campus that immediately makes me think of the movie Animal House. Perhaps it was the fear that i too, may one day be on 'double secret probation' or that once I graduated i would 'get drunk every night' or that the 'best days of my life would be over'. While college was a fabulous experience and I can honestly say that a good portion of my college exerience was a little too similar to the movie, I am happy that I walked across that stage and got that diploma (sigh of relief to most involved I am sure)That same happy, giddy feeling was what I was feeling when in the first weekend of May, Katie also walked across that stage to get her diploma. Though I am quite sure her experience was less Animal House and more good student with an excellent GPA (All A's the last semester I would like to brag), I couldn't have been more proud of her than to hear her name be called out.
I am particuarly proud of our family for our lack of couth behavior. See, there was a really arrogant, prick of a man at Jake and Katie's high school that said they would both amount to zero. My dad decided as a special tribute to him, mom, Katie and Jake that he would take out a HUGE page in The Daily Breeze (our local newspaper) to congratulate Katie on all of her achievements (including being published... soon you can google her name!) Take that arrogant-arse! Ah.... pay back feels sooo good!




There's Katie getting ready to sit down while President Witt starts addressing the graduates.


Katie's name has just been called and she is walking across the stage to get her diploma. Oh my god, we all screamed so loud that I lost part of my voice.



Outside after graduation had just finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment